This is John Williams.
He’s not the one who has decided to meme me. That’s my mate, the other John Williams. The more famous one. Well in my house anyway.
Apparently there are rules…
1. Each player starts with 8 random facts/habits about themselves.
2. People who are tagged, write a blog post about their own 8 random things, and post these rules.
3. At the end of your post you need to tag 8 people and include their names.
4. Don’t forget to leave them a comment and tell them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.
Right, let’s give this a lash so.
1. I’ve had longstanding interests in art, history and photography but relatively recently I’ve developed a thing for design and architecture. Le Corbusier, Mackintosh, Norman Foster, Gaudi… I spent two of the most enjoyable hours possible recently watching a two part documentary on Sky Arts about Frank Lloyd Wright.
2. Paris is my favourite place in the world. If I could I’d be there right now. If I won the lottery in the morning I’d be gone there like a shot. Sorry 🙂
3. Despite the job I do and a lifelong passion for new music I’ve only ever spent half of one day at a proper festival, and that was the sodden Saturday of Oxegen 2006.
4. I smoked briefly when I was 20. This lasted about 6 weeks, when I became a late night radio dj for the first time and I thought it’d be cool. I smoked Kents. I soon gave up but even to this day they have a hold over me especially when others are doing it and I’ve had a few drinks.
5. I was allocated my name on my first day in Atlantic 252 as a green 20 year old. Much later I found out it had been a toss-up between Rick O’Shea and Elvis Murphy. I’ll live with what I got.
6. I have a passion for golden age vocal pre-rock and roll music and a decent collection of pre-60’s music. Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Bobby Darin, Judy Garland, Django Reinhardt & Stephane Grapelli, Noel Coward, Chet Baker, Eartha Kitt, Fred Astaire, Nina Simone, a hundred other various artist compilations.
7. When I was a kid I was a hardcore sci-fi and comic book geek. To some extent I still am – Day Of The Triffids and 1984 are still some of my favourite books ever. At one point I had over 3,000 U.S. Marvel, D.C. and independent comics.
8. A lot of my favorite memories of movies are associated with the rooms I saw them in and to this day I can remember in which screen and where I saw most of the movies in my life. My favourite room to watch a movie in anywhere in Ireland is still Savoy 1. IFI 2 and Screen at D’Olier Street 1 would finish out my top 3. I loved and still miss the Lighthouse and Adelphi.